Host a Growing Classroom Training!
Workshop Description: Presented by Life Lab Science Program and The National Gardening Association, this two-day workshop is ideal for those interested in supplementing their existing science program with garden-based learning. Using The Growing Classroom activity guide for grades 2-6, you'll experience hands-on activities, learn basic science concepts and gardening techniques, and develop management strategies for a school gardening program. Each participant will receive Life Lab's 480-page book, The Growing Classroom, as well as many other ideas and resources.
Suggested Audience: Anyone interested or involved in garden-based learning with children grades 2-6. 25-participant maximum.
Key Workshop Components:
- How to lead garden-based learning activities from The Growing Classroom activity guide.
- Basic gardening skills, including composting, starting seeds, preparing garden beds, transplanting, and designing spaces for outdoor learning.
- The Life Lab approach to Science.
- How to make outdoor, inquiry-based education work for different student populations.
- The resources inside of The Growing Classroom activity guide, including sections on: Creating a garden, garden-based learning activities, gardening "how to's," and connecting garden-based learning to relevant academic studies.
Take home ...
- The Growing Classroom activity guide.
- An action plan for your school garden.
Length: Two days, 9AM-3PM
Cost To Host: $3,000 plus workshop materials, along with travel, food and lodging for 1 trainer. Host sites determine and collect individual participant fees.
Credit Available: In all states but Ohio, 1 unit of semester credit available per day ($60 per credit).
Contact: For more information, contact Education Specialist Cynthia Domenghini at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[This workshop] "far surpassed my expectations - excellent info from presenter and participants."
"I received a wonderful experience that will boost and sustain my quest for a learning garden area for my school."
"This is exactly what we will need to further the commitment of a garden program district-wide."
"We will be able to implement your program at each school -- easily!"
"The book and demonstration lessons were great. I came away with the knowledge that Life Lab can be used for teaching in every subject [and] lots of ideas to improve our life lab."
"I received what I expected and a whole lot more! I'm very pleased with all of the great info and ideas!"
"I came away with lovely lesson ideas [and] renewed enthusiasm for the bigger picture."
"Workshops like this are very helpful."