Tomato Leaves Poisonous?

Share this

Question: Are the leaves of tomatoes poisonous to children and pets? If yes, what might happen when a child eats them, and what should we do?

Answer: According to the Poisonous Plants of North Carolina Web site, the leaves and stems of tomato plants are poisonous if consumed in large quantities. If ever you have a question about a possible poisoning, please call your local poison control number right away! Poison Control Centers are open 24 hours a day. Staff can tell you immediately if there is something to worry about and what to do.

It's important to teach children not to eat any plant unless an adult says it's okay. Many common plants are poisonous -- and even if the plant is a vegetable and is not poisonous itself, it may have been sprayed with something that is poisonous. You just never know.

With regard to plants poisonous to animals, you may find this Cornell University site helpful.

KidsGardening logois a division ofNational Gardening Assocation logo


 

For those who choose to use Text to Donate: A one-time donation of $10 will be added to your mobile phone bill or deducted from your prepaid balance. Message and Data Rates may apply. All charges are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider. Service is available on Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. All purchases must be authorized by the account holder. By participating you certify that you are 18 yrs or older and/or have parental permission. Donations are collected for National Gardening Association and subject to the terms found at igfn.org/t. Privacy policy: igfn.org/p. *Text STOP to 80888 to stop; Text HELP to 80888 for help.*

 

Copyright © 1999-2012 National Gardening Association     |     www.kidsgardening.org & www.garden.org      |     Created on 03/15/99, 

Last updated on 04/19/2014
seo google sıra bulucu kanun script encode decode google sira bulucu google pagerank sorgulama seo google sıra bulucu ukash kanunlar